Home Loan Grants and Assistance

Home Loan Grants and Assistance

Home loan grants and assistance is offered when you are buying your first home, have a disability, low income or are of Aboriginal/Torres Straight Islander descent.

If you’re saving hard for a deposit for your first home, make sure you familiarise yourself with the grants and assistance available from the Government – State and Federal – which may give you an extra cash injection and help you make your purchase that little bit sooner.

Home loan grants and assistance for 1st home buyers

To offset the impact of the introduction of the GST, the Commonwealth requested that the States and Territories assist first home buyers through the establishment of the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG).

Each State and Territory offer the FHOG, however they may be different (for more information contact or search the Office of State Revenue in your state or territory).  There is no tax payable on the grant.

The First Home Owners Grant is available to all who qualify according to the cirteria. If you would like more information on the FHOG, or whether you qualify, you can visit the FHOG website, or your States Office of State Revenue website.

Mortgage duty exemptions, rebates and transfers

As a first home buyer you may also qualify for exemption or discounts (first home owners grant) to mortgage and transfer duties.  The discount or exemption amount will depend on the State in which you live, and the purchase price of the property. 

Some States also offer duty relief benefits for first home buyers.

Defence service home owners scheme

The Defence Home Owners Scheme was introduced in 1991 to assist eligible members and ex-members of the ADF to purchase their own home.  This is done by providing a subsidy on the interest of a home loan borrowed from the approved lender.

There are legislative requirements that an eligible person must meet before payment of the subsidy can commence.  The amount of subsidy you are eligible for will vary depending on the length and type of your service and whether you are still in active service or have been discharged. 

Like a little help?

If you have special needs, a disability, are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, or have a low income, you may be entitled to assistance from your State Government. 

If you would like more information on home loan grants and assistance, contact your State Government or talk to a mortgage broker who can point you in the right direction.

© Copyright - MortgageBroker.com.au 2006-2023. Domain Mortgage Group Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved